The murderer walked up and down the halls, from floor to floor, yelling "BRING ME THE WOMEN... I WANT THE WOMEN!!!" and systematically shot them to death.
20 years have gone by and we still struggle to end violence against women.
Check in your communities for events that are happening surrounding December 6th. There should be candlelight vigils, memorials, marches for peace, etc. Please join in and pledge to take action, so that 20 more years from now, we can see a drastic reduction (hopefully an elimination) of cases of violence against women.
Posted below are the details of the Halifax Community driven events.
- December 5th - 1 to 3 p.m. - Paula Ann Gallant Memorial - laying of 40 wreaths, March of Hope to BLT Elementary School - 22-24 James Street, Timberlea
- December 6th - 4:30 p.m. - Memorial Vigil for Tanya Brooks - St. Patrick's-Alexandra School - 2277 Maitland Street, Halifax
- December 6th - 5:30 p.m. - "Not so Silent" Vigil - Halifax Public Library Lawn followed by the "Not so Silent" Community Event and Potluck (see below).
- December 6th - 6:00 p.m. - Sexton Campus Vigil - Sexton Alumni Lounge - 1360 Barrington Street, Halifax
- December 6th, 6:30 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.) - "Not so Silent" Community Event and Potluck - St. Matthew's Church Hall - 1479 Barrington Street, Halifax
For those of you on Facebook, you can join the Halifax "Not so Silent" vigil Facebook group my clicking on the link.