Sunday, May 10, 2009

Networking for the Network - pondering thoughts from an activist

Things can move so slow when you are trying to work on something to this magnitude. The Friends of Transition Houses Network is meant to be on a grand scale, awareness, vocalization, knowledge, solidarity and activism are all mechanisms to change...

and me, well I'm doing my best with getting word out there. As a new kid on the block (so to speak) I have to build my own networks from the ground up. Networking on Facebook. Networking via e-mail. Contacting those from the Women's Day events and the Bill C-10 fight for a woman's right to pay equity. And yet, sometimes I wonder if what I am doing is enough. And I am open to suggestions from others on how I can make it more...

There is less than a month left now before the Provincial Election and although the Friends of Transition Houses Network will be moving forward well past the provincial election there is so much we can be doing now... that may impact the type of government we elect into Provincial Legislature.

Last week I did up a draft graphic (which over the weekend my 13 yr old daughter nearly perfected for me) for the Friends of Transition Houses Network. I'm itching to start getting it out there, I'm itching to put the network out into public forums. To get people talking about it, join in, wanting to be a part.

Tonight I spend Mother's Day as I always do, with my family, my sister and her family, our mother and my sister's mother-in-law. I talked to my sister's Mother-in-law, she used to work at Bryony House back when it first started (she now works as a social worker elsewhere).

We talked over coffee about the plight of the transition houses, underfunded, asked to make due. My step father was a little upset to find out that not every community (or rural area) in Nova Scotia had transition houses. He asked how many beds there were in Bryony House, I told him. My mother in law spoke of there sometimes being waiting lists for women to get into shelters... WAITING LISTS~~~ For a shelter for abused women & children!!! Can you imagine?

And we (the general public) don't think about it, we don't talk about it. We might say, what can I do about it? Or the problem is too big? Or we turn a blind eye to the dire need of these services in our community...

I am one of the people who say... I have a voice, I will do everything I can to raise awareness, to fight for inequity, to help make sure the services that women & children need are in place. I am only one person, but I know that there are many more out there like me who will step up to be seen and heard.

You have to ask yourself (as I did) if not me... then who?

Think about it. Consider the strength you carry within your self and ask yourself how can you best use that to contribute back to society?

No comments: